sizanani-outreach-on-the-road-to-mandaba

  Where We Work

Nkandla is located in the heart of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa and is classified as a municipality, spanning some 1827 square kilometres. It is located in the western end of UThungulu District Municipality (DC 28). Nkandla’s population is estimated at 114,416, with more than 55% represented by women. In addition, women serve as the head of the household in more than 63% of Nkandla families. Some 80% of the land is Traditional Authority held in trust by the INgonyama Trust and the remaining 20% is held under trust farms.

Nkandla Town is a Rural Service Centre (RSC) and Provincial Rural Administrative Centre (PRAC). It is located approximately 55 kilometres west of Melmoth and 60 kilometres northwest of Eshowe. Nkandla Town is the only formalised urban area within the municipality, though it remains isolated from major economic development corridors. Access to Nkandla Town is via roads from Eshowe through the Nkandla Reserve, the main roads from Melmoth, Babanango and Nquthu, and via Greytown and Kranskop.

The topography of Nkandla is mountainous and many of our clients live in deep valleys and forests replete with ravines and dongas. The main road into and through Nkandla Town is one of the few tarred roads. Most roads are dirt, gravel or grass, winding up and down through the mountainous terrain. Those living in these remote areas must walk very long distances, or make use of fragmented and costly public transport schemes, to access most services.

114,416

46,110

22,463

14,174

The total population of Nkandla.

Source: Statistics South Africa

Total number of children ages 0 to 14 (40.3%).

Households in Nkandla

Female-headed households (63.1%)